Wheatgrass is a green food which is formed from common wheat seeds (Triticum aestivum) after germination in soil for 8 days. It plays role in Natural & Holistic medicines & it has many specific health benefits also. Wheatgrass is newly sprouted wheat which we can chew or eat raw also but this grass is fibrous & indigestible in its natural state. It is consumed in the form of juice, powder or also consumed in the form of tablet/capsule.
Nutritional value of wheatgrass
Wheatgrass have a powerful nutritional content. 70% of wheatgrass is packed with chlorophyll, Essential vitamins, proteins, Minerals, Enzymes, Amino –Acids, etc.
- Chlorophyll is the richest nutritional liquid known to man. Chlorophyll is unique; it has its molecular structure similar to haemoglobin in human blood & therefore performs the same function in the body. And so wheatgrass is also known as ‘green blood’.
- Chlorophyll helps increased blood oxygen level which in turns supports the healthy body. Chlorophyll is known to be very good for the vascular system, it has anti-oxidant that helps to illuminate harmful toxins from body & neutralise free radicals.
- Chlorophyll cleanses, purifies & heals most areas of the body.
2. Vitamins & Minerals
- Wheatgrass contains a full spectrum of vitamins & 90 Minerals essential for healthy function of the body’s system.
- These vitamins and minerals act together to perform hundreds of role in the body, such as produce energy, protect cells from damage, and regulate cell and tissue growth.
- Wheatgrass contains about 30 beneficial enzymes that acts as catalyst to speed up the rate at which metabolic processes & reactions occur in the body.
- This enzyme helps to cleans body from heavy metals, environmental pollutants and other toxins that may be stored in the body’s tissue and organs.
- Wheatgrass is a complete source of protein, supplying all of the essential amino acids and more, essential for building muscle.
History of wheatgrass basic
Wheatgrass is traditionally used in Indian festivals and rituals. From thousands of years Hindu sow wheat seeds on first day of Navratri worship and after 8th day offer the saplings to Goddess Durga. The consumption of wheatgrass was stared from 1930s in the western world by Charles Schnabel during his experiment on plants. Ann Wigmore also comes across about health benefits of wheatgrass as a part of raw food diet.
Important Ingredients in Wheatgrass –
1. Vitamin A –Improves eye and skin health. Prevents night blindness. Avoids frequent contact of germs on nose, ears, and throat. Complaints like dark circles under eyes, gray hair, wrinkles are avoided due to this vitamin. This vitamin is essential for combating pollution.
2. Vitamin B - Vitamin B is useful in diseases of the nervous system, digestive system, loss of appetite, beriberi, mouth ulcers, premature aging, mental health problems, insomnia. According to some experts, vitamin B17 (litrial) is an important ingredient in diseases such as cancer.
3. Vitamin C - which is essential for the health of teeth, gums and bones, enhances immunity, an excellent natural antibiotic, helps wounds to heal faster.
4. Vitamin E - Vitamin E useful for reproduction, it can prevent infertility and miscarriage. Fat is metabolized, Increases sperm efficiency. Useful in degenerative diseases like diabetes, cancer, heart disease. Essential vitamins for healthy aging. Vitamins that eliminate menstrual disorders.
5. Minerals –Minerals are important in our body as life is impossible without it. The minerals required by the cells maintain the acid-alkalinity balance in the body.
- Calcium - is useful for bone health, aging, body swelling, bleeding, circulatory impairment, restlessness, premature blood clotting, slowness, and varicose veins.
- Iron - useful in anemia, pregnancy, cold sweats, yellowing of the skin, shortness of breath, lethargy, insomnia.
- Sodium -useful for digestion and cleansing of body, acid alkalinity, kidney stones.
- Potassium- useful in puberty, beauty, insomnia, high blood pressure, memory loss, fatigue, suicidal ideation
- Magnesium- intestinal for muscular diseases, jaundice, late menstruation, diarrhea, constipation, dental complaints, colds, foul smelling defecation.
- Zinc -It is rich in hair health, prostate gland health.
- Selenium- salts which are useful in various types of cancer
6. Digestive juices (enzymes) - Wheatgrass contains many types of enzymes. As it is a stimulant, it is needed in every function of the body. Without it, the body looks weak and emaciated. Wheatgrass is the only bank that supplies enzymes.
7. Proteins and amino acids - Proteins have a prominent place in the diet. Proteins are useful for cell formation, growth of the body. Antibodies, plasma, hormones are made from proteins. Wheatgrass is seen by dieticians as an effective source of plant protein.
8. Chlorophyll - Nature's Magic. This important ingredient in grass is nature's alchemy.70% chlorophyll is present in wheatgrass. Chlorophyll has a huge resemblance to the component of heminogen in hemoglobin. That is why wheatgrass is likened to ‘green blood’. That is why it is very useful in anaemia. Nobel laureate Dr. Hans Fischer has proved that the atoms of human blood and chlorophyll are almost identical. According to the American Journal of Medicine, the American Journal of Surgery, chlorophyll is an excellent disinfectant and purifies the blood and cures many diseases. It is useful in tuberculosis, inflammation of the intestines, gastric ulcer. According to research conducted by the Department of Microbiology at the University of Lomalinda in the United States, chlorophyll radiation, car fumes, and cigarette smoke do not cause adverse effects on the body. According to Dr. Bircher, chlorophyll is better than any expensive synthetic tonic because chlorophyll improves heart, intestinal, bladder and lung function. According to an article by R. W. Young in the American Journal of Geriatric Society in 1980, chlorophyll reduces body odor.Japanese scientists Dr. Morisita and Dr. Kano Hota have described it as the best antiseptic and deodorant.In the book Chlorophyll-Nature Greenmagic, According to Dr.Rudolph, chlorophyll is good for bleeding gums, mouth ulcers, and pyorrhoea. It can be used for toothpaste. According to an article by G. Gruskin in the Journal of Surgery, respiratory infections and sinus pain are reduced by chlorophyll. In the American Journal of Surgery, Dr. Goldberg In his article Use of Chlorophyll in Sepsis, writes that chlorophyll heals wounds faster. Alves said it reduces radiation exposure Chlorophyll has been described as anti-cancer by Dr. C. N. Lay in his book Nutrition and Cancer in 1979.Chlorophyll has been shown to be useful in vitiligo , according to Wright, a professor in the Department of Dermatology at Temple University, Philadelphia. Paris hospital dentist Dr. Homer Judkin has cured patients with pyorrhoea by injecting chlorophyll into the gums.
Wheatgrass is the best alternative for obtaining such chlorophyll. What is special is that it is completely safe as it is natural.
9. Amino acid function
- Lysine- Life-enhancing
- Leucine - Sensitizing energy and pulse system
- Tryptophan- Skin and hair growth
- Phenylalanine - Helps in the production of thyroid hormone
- Valine- Mutual collaboration and harmony between the brain and the muscles
- Methionine- Determination of liver and kidneys
- Alanine- Helps in blood formation
- Arginine- semen enhancer
- Glutamic acid- to keep the brain awake
- Aspartic acid- energy production
- Glycine- Energy production
- Proline-glutamic acid absorption
- Serine- Keeping the brain energetic
- Isoleucine- embryonic development
- Histidine - Aids in many functions of the auditory and vascular systems
Wheatgrass for whom?
Wheatgrass is only for the sick and ill, this is a misconception. It is useful for both the sick and the healthy. Like milk, it is a complete diet.
Benefits of Wheatgrass -
1. Sexual Weakness
It stimulates the limbic system in the brain. It improves sexual health. Vitamins A, B, E and Zinc are beneficial.
Vitamin A converts cholesterol into sex hormones.
Vitamin B helps reduce stress. It increases the secretion of sex hormones and improves sexual function. Vitamin E, also known as anti-sterility vitamins, enhances sexual potency. Prostate gland drainage is essential for prolonging libido and regulating sexual function.
Many people have been able to control their diabetes by experimenting with diet, a little bit of exercise, and wheat flour in the right amount before both meals. Wheatgrass contains fibre; therefore there is a proper flow of food in the body from chewing to defecation. As a result, starch is digested till the end and blood sugar level decreases.In addition, zinc, potassium , iron, and calcium, which help in metabolism and insulin production, are also found in wheat.
3. Heart disease
Wheatgrass is beneficial in heart disease due to the minerals Potassium and Magnesium, Vitamins A, B and E.
Due to Vitamin E and the property of improving the function of the liver, wheatgrass users should have normal cholesterol.
5. Kidney stones
As the acid and alkali in the urine are balanced, they remain in the form of minerals and are excreted in the urine & Vitamin A in wheat prevents recurrent kidney stones.
Wheatgrass is known all over the world as a cancer preventative. Litril-B, Fibre and Potassium in wheatgrass play an important role in cancer recovery. Lack of potassium and intake of non-fibrous food are considered to be the causes of cancer.
7. Burning sensation
Vitamins A and E in wheatgrass provide relief in burns.
Fiber, vitamins A and C, as well as blood purifiers Chlorophyll present in Wheatgrass eliminates these complaints.
9. Hair complaints
Hair complaints that do not treated by any of the oils available in the market are destroyed by regular intake of wheatgrass. It is caused by Proteins, vitamins A and B, iron, zinc and selenium present in wheatgrass.
Vitamins A, C, E and zinc are found in wheatgrass helps to remove wrinkle.
11. Bad breath
Chlorophyll in wheat removes bad breath.
It is one of the most common causes of heartburn. Wheatgrass supplies both of these. In addition to calcium, fibre and various digestive juices. Reduces intestinal relaxation and improves digestion of food.
Wheatgrass Fiber, Vitamin A, Calcium, is better to reduce the laxity and rub the food. As a result, constipation is eliminated.
14. Gastric or peptic ulcer
Wheatgrass contains Sodium and digestive juices, which reduce acidity & thus wheatgrass, is very effective in this treatment.
15. Menstrual Disorders
Calcium, Iron, Proteins, A, C and E Vitamins from Wheatgrass are beneficial in this disorder.
Calcium, Potassium, Vitamin B in wheatgrass are beneficial in this disorder.
Vitamin C, Calcium is component of wheatgrass, which reduces blood acidity & thus Wheatgrass is beneficial in this disease.
Vitamins A and C boost the body's immune system & thus wheatgrass is beneficial in this disease.
19. Wounds and Fractures
Chlorophyll and calcium from wheatgrass are used for wound healing and early bone healing. 23 kg of fresh leafy vegetables provides the same amount of nutrients to the human body from just one kg of wheatgrass. So wheatgrass is known as complete food. It is an earthly resurrection.
Wheatgrass juice or powder -
In fact it is better to take fresh juice of wheatgrass. For this, wheatgrass has to be sown and taken care of for seven days in a row every day. On the seventh or eighth day, the wheat seedlings sown on the first day are cut and squeezed. All of this is not possible in today's stressful, hectic life.
So we drink the juice we get in the market. The water used to extract the juice is not necessarily pure, proper care must be taken while extracting the juice. In addition, it is necessary to drink within ten minutes after extracting the juice. Wheatgrass juice available in the market is definitely older than ten minutes.
It is not possible for you to go to the juice centre every day and drink the juice due to work. The result is breakdown and the expected results are not seen.
Since it is powdered in the shade and specially dried, the ingredients are mixed in the right proportions. The fibre is thrown away while the juice is being extracted. If powder is taken, fibre goes into the stomach. Therefore, all the benefits of fibre are available. Since you use home water while taking the powder, there is no concern about its purity. Powder is easy to carry while travelling.
Dose & time
The daily dose of wheatgrass powder for a healthy person is 3 grams in a glass of warm water.
It is very beneficial to take empty stomach in the morning. Wheatgrass powder in various ailments should be taken on the advice of a naturopath.